Killeen Alumnae Chapter
In 1972, Soror Ruth O’Neal lunched the idea of starting an alumnae chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority in the Killeen area. It was her belief that engaging in community service and implementing programs and projects which focused on our Five Point Programmatic Thrust would benefit Killeen’s developing community, which until 1940 had no African-American residents. After discussing the idea with two co-workers in the school district: Louise McGhee and Julia Williams, they purchased a newspaper advertisement to invite members of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority living in the community join them in the chartering of the new chapter.
The twelve local members who responded to the advertisement invite were Iris Beard, Marva Davidson, Alice Douse, Bonnie Howard, Ruby Johnson, Louise McGhee, Ruth O’Neal, Gloria Skinner, Linda Vernon, Ernestine Warren, Julia Williams and Eltra Youngblood. While the group waited for an additional member, held on July 18, 1972. The group met for 19 months before the final chartering member, Elise O’Neal, joined the group. Upon authorization of the Regional Director, the group began chartering preparations. On February 15, 1974, at the Cowhouse Hotel in downtown Killeen; the Killeen Alumnae Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority, Inc. was charter with Regional Director, Eula Butler, presiding.
The first elected Chapter President of the Killeen Alumnae Chapter was Louise McGhee, she served two one year terms. In 1978 the officers were elected for two-year terms.